Tbear
Digital Elite Team Artist

New To Me September: Catching the Red Eye

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Since humans are filled with red blood (at least most of us :D ) cameras are notorious for picking up the red behind our eyes resulting in that awful "red eye" effect. Sadly, I have seen too many of my photos spoiled by this problem.

So what can we do to fix this?
Visine comes to mind, but using it on a computer screen doesn't work. Trust me, I've tried.

Luckily Photoshop has a few helpful tools.
In this tutorial, we will try two different approaches.

Here is our model. I'm hoping the night on the town was worth it because this guy has some serious red eye.
Serious-Red-Eye.jpg
Serious-Red-Eye.jpg (113.05 KiB) Viewed 89 times

You can download the image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cb8hgi4l1i5p ... y.jpg?dl=0

1. THE QUICK AND EASY RED EYE TOOL.
Located in the tool box under the eyedropper tool (at least that's where it is located in Photoshop CS 5), you'll find the Red Eye Tool
Red-Eye-Tool.jpg
Red-Eye-Tool.jpg (22.56 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Click on it to activate and adjust the tool settings to accommodate a small area.
Red-Eye-Tool-settings.jpg
Red-Eye-Tool-settings.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Click around the eye wherever there is red. You can adjust the tool settings for a better result.
In my experience this tool is fine for a quick fix on areas that are not that noticeable.

Here's what my version looks like after applying several clicks. As you can see, it did take care of the red eye, but it darkened the rest of the area too much. Now he just looks grumpy.
After-using-the-red-eye-tool.jpg
After-using-the-red-eye-tool.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Unfortunately, this poor guy needs all the help he can get.

2. The Not So Quick Adjustment Layers Method.

Add a Hue/Sat adjustment layer and pull the saturation slider all the way to the left. This desaturates the entire picture but we'll take care of that next.
I also pulled the Lightness slider a bit to the right.
Hue-Sat-settings.jpg
Hue-Sat-settings.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Add a layer mask to the Hue/Sat adjustment layer and fill it with black.

Get a soft white brush and brush around the red eye area.

Here's what mine looks like now:
Hue-Sat-adjustment.jpg
Hue-Sat-adjustment.jpg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 87 times

Next add a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer and use these settings:
Brightness-Contrast-adjustment-layer.jpg
Brightness-Contrast-adjustment-layer.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Since you already did the work isolating the eye part of the eye in the Hue/Sat layer mask, you can use a clipping mask for the Brightness/Contrast layer. Your brightness/contrast setting will only affect the area in the layer it is clipped to.
Clipping-Mask.jpg
Clipping-Mask.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 89 times

(Or you can add a layer mask as you did with the Hue/Sat adjustment, fill with black and use the white soft brush again)

Of course you can stop there. But if you want to add a little more realism into his eye, you can give it a "glow"

Add a layer at the top and using a small white soft brush, click once somewhere in his eye.
Move this white blurry circle around to where you think it looks best.
Lower the layer opacity to suit and viola'!

Here is my finished photo:
Finished-Picture.jpg
Finished-Picture.jpg (112.29 KiB) Viewed 89 times

sanra
Gold Bird

Re: New To Me September: Catching the Red Eye

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:13 pm

LOOKING AT You!!! This was the first thing I saw this morning... LOOKS like a great way of fixing the eyes.
Thanks.. :bravo:

Return to “New To Me”