tailz61
ScrapBird Designer

Lets be a dingbat!

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:26 am

Have you ever used dingbat fonts to create something a little extra in your layouts. You surely have already seen some wonderful dingbats fonts around, you know those fonts with drawings or objects instead of the traditional letters. The beauty of dingbats fonts is that they are a font, so they are vectorial, and that means resizable! But, did you know that you can use them in your layouts. They can used in various ways, you can make borders, cut outs, even elements from them but one thing is certain you will have fun not only finding ones to use but using them as well. You could use them as FONTS, or like BRUSHES in your designing program, or, once rasterized, you could use them as CLIPARTS and color them and/or play with BLENDING modes.
There are various places on the internet that offer free PU fonts, I like daFont but here are some that you could try. Most have headings so you can search them very easily. Here are a couple of links for you, just make sure they’re free for PU as we don’t want you getting into any trouble

http://www.dafont.com/
http://www.1001freefonts.com/
http://www.fontspace.com/popular/fonts
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/

To find the dingbat within the font set you’d like to use you can either use a font viewer, I use Nexus Font which is freely available but if you don’t have one or don’t want to bother with going to the trouble of downloading and installing one what I do is open a 12x12 layout select my text tool and the ding bat font I want to use, just like you would for adding any text or journaling to a layout. I make my text selection the same size as my 12x12 and enlarge the font size and then type out the whole alphabet in upper and lower case. Do both cases as some ding fonts actually have different dings. You can then either take note of the character that aligns with the letter you typed and either delete the rest or what I do is rasterise or simplify the layer and copy the one I want. But I’m sure you’ll work it out, if you get stuck just yell and I’ll do my best to help you.

Challenge Requirements:

There are none lol except to use a dingbat font somewhere on your layout, you can use as many or as little you like.

You are not obligated to use any of my products but if you use one of my newest either the layered frame masks, Simply Sweet or anything from the newly released Outdoor Fun range to create your layout with I will give you these stunning 5 clusters. These are not even in store yet!

Ooh yes I fibbed there is one requirement and most important for me, please make sure you link your layout back into this thread so that I can find your masterpiece easily in the gallery.

As I’ve not had time to do an example page on of my CT’s has kindly allowed me to share her layout using Touched by Asia, her ding font is the little panda and the bamboo

Tbear
Digital Elite Team Artist

Re: Lets be a dingbat!

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Ooooooo, I'm lovin' this challenge!!

Every time I pass a mirror or reflective glass I see a dingbat.
So this is right up my alley!

tailz61
ScrapBird Designer

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Tbear wrote:Ooooooo, I'm lovin' this challenge!!

Every time I pass a mirror or reflective glass I see a dingbat.
So this is right up my alley!

Haha thats funny :rotfl:

smikeel
Location: 200 miles away, in any direction, from a large city.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:52 pm

This will be fun! :D :yes:

smikeel
Location: 200 miles away, in any direction, from a large city.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:01 pm

I had a lot of fun with this challenge!! Here is my page. :D

Alligator Tale
I used Outside Fun Super Value Bundle, and Mask Frames Set 1 both by Nutkin Tailz Designs.

I made the alligator element using LM Animal Toons by Lisa Marie dingbats from dafont.com.

kotare
ScrapBird Moderator

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:40 pm

smikeel wrote:I had a lot of fun with this challenge!! Here is my page. :D

Alligator Tale
I used Outside Fun Super Value Bundle, and Mask Frames Set 1 both by Nutkin Tailz Designs.

I made the alligator element using LM Animal Toons by Lisa Marie dingbats from dafont.com.

Neat Kim, I could probably lift your layout with a very similar photo, it's definitely not me holding the alligator!

tailz61
ScrapBird Designer

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:47 am

Oh I do love that alligator he's so chilled lol love this layout

SassyScraps
Orange Bird

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:25 am

Serenity on the Bay using Seaside Memories by NutkinTailz Designs and I used KR Down By The Sea dingbat for that little ship in the bottom left corner.

Tbear

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm

He's Picking On Me

Photo is of my DGD. That bird wouldn't stop pecking on Meg that day. Nearsighted? Or perhaps got out on the wrong side of the nest that morning. :think:

Betsyfru

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Here's mine:
Follow the Leader
I used Outside Fun Mini 1 and
Mask Frames Set 1 #3 by Nutkin Tailz Design
Dingbats: Both of the yellow arrows, the yellow & orange arrow trail, the journal frame, and the "love it" from these dingbat fonts - KGArrows, KGFlavor and Frames, and KGFlavor and Frames Three by Kimberly Geswein.
You have NO IDEA how hard I tried to find a goose dingbat!!! And the biker dingbat I found wouldn't work...:(

Return to “Bonus Challenge”